What you need:
Mixer / Mixie
Ten minutes kitchen time
- Onions - 2, cut into pieces. You don't have to bother cutting them into small pieces.
- Ural Dal - 1 spoonful
- Mustard seeds - half tea spoon
- Red Chilly - 2
- Salt - to taste
- Tamarind - to taste
- Oil - 2 tea spoonful
How to make Vengaya Thogaiyal:
- Heat oil in a pan in medium flame.
- Add Mustard seeds. After a few seconds add the Urad Dal as well.
- As the mustard seeds splitter, add the red chillies.
- Gently fry the Urad Dal until it turns golden brown.
- Add the onion pieces into the pan and fry gently until the color changes to pink or brownish pink.
- Beware of the charring of the Urad Dal or onion. If need be, switch off the flame and continue frying, so you save the Urad Dal from turning black.
- Transfer the contents of the pan onto a plate and wait for ten minutes. The contents need to cool off a bit so they are ready to be ground well into a paste.
- Grind them well in your mixer along with salt and tamarind. If you like, add curry leaves also along with the mix.