Changed my view

I didn't intentionally eavesdrop on the conversation yesterday, but then you can't walk around with ear plugs all the time. Two young men were discussing an interview progress.

A : So, you are done with the interviews?
B: Yeah, done.
A: How did it go?
B: Yeah, overall, it went well.. Most people didn't know this C ( something that was absolute Latin to me ) concept...
A: So any ray of hope? How many met your expectations?
B: Two of them...
A: How many years experience?
B: About two years plus....
A: Guy? Girl?
B: One guy and a girl have taken the top two ranks....
A: Who do you think will finally make it? Have you decided?
B: Not really... thought I will keep the decision aside for a while....
A: You know what? Just select the girl and say 'Better luck' to the Guy....
B : Well... You know what.. You have still not changed!!!!!

Thankfully Mr.A was not the interviewer for which ever company and position that was being discussed.

So, that was what I heard on the road yesterday. Back in college, when my friends used to tell me that a particular software giant almost always selected majority of the girl candidates and that girls can easily get a job, I used to feel very irritated. I don't have count of the number of arguments I have picked up against the statement.

Invariably, the number of girls who got placed at most recruitment fairs would be higher than the guys. I always preferred to believe that may be in the lot which took part in the exam, girls fared well... I still believe it!!!!! , and that is a different point altogether.... but just may be, when in an All men interview panel - Men who cannot differentiate personal and professional associations with people, there are chances of talented men getting ruled out.

The contra must be true, I guess for an All Women panel. ( Never attended interview with an All women panel till date..!!!!)

Guys, if you can think objectively when you are in an interview panel, and can stop thinking that every girl ( Girls, substitute guy here) you meet needs to be your friend, only then take up the interviewer's role.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think this could just be because most women (especially in the IT sector) have better communication skills - another reason why they flock in large numbers to tech writing...

I have noticed that as the positions get more senior, the men win out during interviews. Probably, the perception that women may have other priorities (husband, kids) cause them to lose out...

So, I think it all works out fairly equally in the end :)

Popular posts from this blog

How are you placed today?

Sargam - A 1992 Movie Review

Thappad - A slap!